Beginner traders face a steep learning curve. Trading requires a solid understanding of how markets function, the mechanics of trading, the actors (brokers, dealers, regulators, etc.) involved, and familiarity with the jargon used by market participants. In this course on trading basics, we will equip you with the fundamental concepts you should be aware of before starting trading.
- The mechanics of trading.
- Actors involved in trading.
- Market microstructure.
- Trading strategies.
We begin this course on trading basics by explaining the features of trade orders and discuss the main order types. Then, we move on to introducing the main actors involved in trading. Finally, we will discuss central issues in market microstructure and cover some of the most popular trading strategies.
- Trade order – Which are the essential features?
- Market order vs limit order – Liquidity, uncertainty.
- Bid price vs ask price – What do they mean?
- Long position vs short position – How to interpret?
- Short selling – What are the benefits and risks?
- Arbitrage opportunity – How does it work?
- Order book – trading stocks and other securities
- Liquidity – What is liquidity in stocks?
If you are already familiar with placing trade orders, you can start the course from our post that explains the distinction between long positions and short positions.
Check out our other free courses and tutorials
We also offer a course on investments. It begins with basic return calculations. Then, it moves on to modern portfolio theory. Finally, it discusses market equilibrium and the capital asset pricing model. Furthermore, we have a tutorial on analyzing stock returns as well. Within this tutorial, we provide step-by-step guides on topics such as plotting time series or histograms of stock returns.